UPDATE: Marc Davis has now taken ownership of this project, which is now WORKING! Go here http://sharepointsnapple.com/amazonmceaddin/ to download and please make a donation to him.
Many thanks for the donations I received for this project – for those of you who made donations for me to fix this, I have transferred your donations over to Marc, since he was actually able to put in the time and effort to make this happen.
OK, so having been frustrated with Netflix’s increasingly poor range of content, and Amazon’s refusal to acknowledge that anyone might want to use their On-Demand Video streaming service in Windows Media Center, I finally gave in and decided to write my own add-in.
This is my first attempt at a Media Center Add-in, and it has been a steep learning curve, so please bear with me while I continue to enhance this.
My objectives for this stage are simply to provide access to all Amazon content that is free to view by streaming for Amazon Prime customers – I have therefore intentionally excluded content that is not free. I may come back and work on the ability to purchase this later, but it isn’t a high priority for me right now.
Here is what is working so far:
- Amazon Account Login
- Browsing of Movies and TV shows by category
- Search of Movie & TV data (somewhat)
- Viewing of Movie & TV Details
- Movie & TV Playback
Here is what is NOT working:
- Displaying Movie & TV Summaries when searching
- Media Center Extenders (Including XBox 360)
- You need to have an Amazon Prime account
(though you can view previews with a normal Amazon account)
- The Amazon account needs to be on the US site – I may do other sites later.
- You need an Internet connection (yes, really!)
- You need to have a computer with Windows Media Center – so far, I have only tested this on Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit)
Please note that it can be a little sluggish switching categories at the moment, depending on your internet bandwidth.
If you want to try it out, please download it below, and if you find this useful, please make a small contribution by donating below.
NEW RELEASE 12/9/2012
- The ability to browse more than 24 items
- Additional data associated with titles
- Improved video title layout
- A fix to address Amazon’s change of image sizing
- Triple-tap and on-screen keyboard for input boxes
- Stops any playback of existing content when entering the app
- Registry install issues fixed
- Improved stability (though still Alpha release)
- Download the MSI and install it.
- Once installed, Launch Media Center and go into the Extras Library
- Launch Amazon Video On Demand.
- Enter your Amazon Credentials
- Enjoy your favorite movies from comfort of your chair!
If you have any other problems, please use the form below: